Using a Relay Service
If you want to talk to a person who uses a TTY:
- Call the state or Federal relay service:
Federal Relay Service: 800-877-8339
- The communications assistant (CA) will ask for the TTY number you wish to call.
- The CA will call the TTY number for you.
- The CA will keep you informed of the status of the call, "ringing", "busy", etc.
- When the call is answered, the CA will identify this as a relay call.
- Speak to the person as you would normally speak, don't say "please tell her that Sarah
is calling about to talk about meeting for lunch today", say "Hi this is Sarah, do you want
to meet for lunch today?"
- What the person types, the CA will voice for you; what you say, will be typed on a TTY.